Piazza Garibaldi 25 - Centro storico
The museum is housed on the ground floor of the old Palazzo Sforza-Cesarini, and runs through six rooms which retrace the mining activities and related events significant to the area of Mount Amiata between 1800 and 1900, with particular attention given to the area between the towns of Santa Fiora and Castell'Azzara. The exhibition documents historical techniques of mercury surveying and extraction and the mining sites of the area, and exhibits tools and equipment used by the miners. Especially interesting is the reconstruction of a section of an inclined underground mine tunnel set up to display the common work tools of the miners. The museum narrates, through documents and photographs, the tragic consequences of work in the mines, but also the strikes and demonstrations organized by the workers to fight for better working conditions. The building also houses a small section of archaeological finds dating from the third century BC. The library and documentary and photographic archives may be consulted on request. There are guided tours of the museum and, on request, of the chestnut orchard and the Fiora aqueduct.
guided tours of the museum and, on request, the chestnut grove and the Fiora aqueduct.
Accessibility for disabled
Consult the website www.minieredimercurio.it
€ 2.00 full; € 1.50 reduced; € 1.00 school visits
Director: Davide Franceschelli
Info and reservations: 347/7036157 0564/965220